Saturday, April 7, 2012

Something Metal

The challenge I'm entering today is "Heavy Metal" - Challenge #146 from The Corrosive Challenge Blog.

Again - PERFECT TIMING! I have been playing with soda cans and my Big Shot. What I did with this card is cut the top and bottom off a soda can (with tin snips) and then down the side of the can (using craft and rubber scissors). I ran it through my Big Shot using the Lattice die.

Many years ago (15 - 20?) there was a TV show on PBS that featured the creator of Aleene's Tacky Glue. Apparently when they developed the glue they tested it for flammability and came up with a great technique they called Burnt Brown Bag. They used a brown bag and covered it with glue and burned it. Instead of the bag burning, it gave the bag a great sooty appearance.

Since I have access to an unlimited number of soda cans (free), I thought I'd try to see what would happen if I used the same technique using a soda can. If I used the lattice die (Stampin' Up!) it could look a lattice fence. I coated the can with some Aleene's Tacky Glue and smeared it so that all surfaces were coated.

I then took a candle and held the piece in the flame until the glue becomes "sooty". Even though I used a votive candle here, I found a plumber's candle works much better (found in any hardware store or a well-stocked toolbox).

I found that the final appearance looked like an old metal fence. I'd bet that if some distressing inks in some greens would probably give it a nice patina look. I "squished" down the bubbles and "intersections" while they were warm to give it the look I was going for.

As a side note, the look on paper is a little different but would work nicely in this application. Using metal did make the glue burn a little different and sometimes created a bare spot on the metal where I had to go back and touch up with a bit more glue and burning. You have to use a little more care when using paper because the glue is only on the front and the flame may try to burn the back side - be prepared to quickly blow out the flame if that happens (safety first!). If you use paper you will need a small paper towel to brush off the excess soot.  I didn't find that an issue with the metal.

The stamp is from Mountainside Crafts (online store), the leaves are from the Bird Builder punch and the flowers come from the flower shape from the Bitty Shapes punch (both Stampin' Up!) with a pearl in the middle. I distressed the leaves with Old Olive and More Mustard ink.

Let me know if you try this technique - I'd love to see your efforts!!


  1. I love it! Thanks for sharing this tutorial. I've been making things with soda cans and want to try this with some of the vintage key dies. I bet it'll look great!

    1. I think you're right - post a link where we can see your result because I (for one) would LOVE to see it!

  2. Brilliant use of metal and a fab card. Thanks for sharing with us at Corrosive Challenges.

  3. love this idea, awesome re-use if something!